The addition to this house in River Oaks Country Club Estate was designed to look original to the 1936 John F. Staub construction. The house is sited on a double lot, with its main views opening to expansive south yard. A small, boxy sunroom provided the impetus for the two-story addition, which was connected seamlessly to the west end of the sunroom. The addition balances the exterior and allows the sunroom to act as a visual connector between the two volumes. The addition houses a library/bar and a second-floor office mirrors its existing partner, which houses the dining room and upstairs master bedroom and bath. The master closet and bath were reconfigured to be slightly larger, but the existing master bedroom has the same footprint in order to maintain views to the south and the covered porch to the east. In addition, the project updated the interiors of the secondary bedrooms and bathrooms, the serving kitchen, and the sunroom. On the exterior, handmade Cedar Bayou antique brick matches Staub’s existing construction.
Dillion Kyle Architecture
AIA Houston Architectural Guide, Third Edition